Thursday, February 24, 2011

Christmas 365 - Day 55 (Feb 24)

After whining for a bit yesterday, I'm back on track and pray I will not fall so far behind again if I even just write a short snippet every day.

This morning I drove to Austin to attend a press conference in which Texas Senator Watson and Texas House Rep Naishtat announced legislation that will benefit the homeless.  The press conference was held at a place called Caritas of Austin - an agency that works with the homeless and as I arrived, I realized that I was in the midst of several nonprofits that work with the homeless because the parking lot I parked at was surrounded by them.   I decided that I would do the same thing I do when I go into a place where the marginalized are at - that I would make eye contact, smile, say hello and ask them how they were doing and if they seemed amenable, to talk and maybe pray with them.  These things are all possible with the homeless population that we work with in San Antonio...but it was very different in Austin

The homeless that I ran across would not make eye contact and very few would say hello back. Of the ones that would say hello, they just said hello and looked away quickly.  I probably looked like a fish out of water as I was wearing a suit and looked pretty good if I say so myself...but that is exactly what was surprising because I thought they would have flocked to me to see how many dollars or coins they could get out if me...but they didn't.

Hmmmm..... Very interesting indeed....

Even after the press conference was over and I walked out to my car, I didn't see anyone that I could connect to.  These folks seemed really broken in spirit...and I wasn't sure how to reach out to them that would be mutually satisfying.  So I got in my car and left Austin...and the whole way back to San Antonio, I pondered their broken spirits as surely that cannot be what God wants for His children. 

I understand that we live in a broken world that is populated by broken people that sometimes do really awful things to each other...because either that is all they know and they truly are, in their own way, doing the best they can...or they have something gone wrong and doing evil things brings them a feeling of power and/or satisfaction.  It was never meant to be that way...but humans seem to be easily corruptible…and before you know it, people are hurt and begin hurting others…and on and on and on…

I know for many people it is hard to believe that God is in the midst of all this…and I simply don’t have the time right now to go deep into an argument of why I believe and just know deep in my spirit that this is true.  But I know that I know that this was never meant to be…and so now the question becomes, what can we do?  There are many things that we can do and as I’ve written before – the easiest way to change the world is to convince more and more people to lead the way into a loving way of relating to each other…and we do this by being examples of love, mercy and forgiveness within our circles of influence.  But doing that can be really, really hard…especially when people just annoy the heck out of you…  Sooooo – I think now that the first step is to know, to really, really know who we are in Christ.  Here is what the Word says about us:

·         I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live, BUT Christ lives in me. (Galatians 2:20)
·         There is no better example of faithful, merciful love than Jesus…and if He can endure terrible persecution and agonizing pain…and in the midst of it all say, “Abba – forgive them for they know not what they do,” AND He live IN us…then yes, we, too, can let Him flow through us so that we, too, can be amazing examples of the Father’s love
·         The Son has set me free. I am free indeed! (John 8:36)
·         We are bound to sin only in as much as we come into agreement with it. 
·         My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:19)
·         I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
·         He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it. (Philippians 1:6)
·         There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)
·         Nothing can ever separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:38-39)
·         In all things God works for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28)
·         God is faithful. He will not let me be tempted beyond what I can bear. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
·         God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
·         My light and momentary troubles are achieving for me an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (2 Corinthians 4:17)
·         He is able to do immeasurably more than all I ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within me. (Ephesians 3:20)
·         God is for me! Who can be against me? (Romans 8:31)

If we internalize these truths…  If we begin to let go of ourselves and allow Him to lead us…  If we give up the illusion of control…  If we rejoice each and every day for our blessings and gifts…and opportunities that come our way…  Then we will change…and when we change, we will impact those around us to change…  And then things will begin to get better…one person at a time.  But we must ALL believe this…  I do.  I believe it.  Do you?

 So tomorrow, I have a plan again for a special Christmas gift.  I pray it will come to pass!  Also, on a different note, most of you might have read about my garden... and I just want to share the update that my garden is showing signs of life as evidenced below!


Picture of back left corner of garden... 
It's very, very dead looking but...
If you look closely, there is evidence of life! 



And although I will not be able to post this until tonight, I'm writing in the early evening and my family is playing basketball without me during this beautiful spring-ish day...so I gotta go...

Until tomorrow...   Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment